Off tha chain
Back from the beach into oh so rainy Brooklyn. In spite of a jellyfish heavy second week (and though I'm brave enough to wade through the clear ones, the stinging pink ones give me the heebies), overall it was time well spent. For the sake of le contexte, me and the fams has been going to Long Beach Island in the not so dirty Jerz since before I was born. Compared to past years, 06 chalks up as such:
1) I finally decided to be a genius and get serious to the SPF 30, applying, reapplying and I didn't get any real sunburns this year. Usually one day I'd go "OOPS forgot!" and suffer for a night of burn victimage so I could have a brag worthy tan at the end of the trip. This time around I just went from pasty to less pasty, which I think is a fair trade off for not gettin skin cancer.
2) I'm learning to drive. Whoa.
For the rest of the normal world this isn't a big deal, but at 21 my ability to surprise myself and do this gives me a good "yes I can" feel about my current state of affairs. We are learning on the giant white boat of a Nissan Quest. We will be driving for realz by next summer as I intend to start campaign for neocolonialism across the country 2k7. IT'S ON!
3) Music is always a fine thing. I decided against going to the Shins show in Bklyn which I had tickets for. I was fine though, because I realized that for me, I don't think that Oh, Inverted World will ever sound as good anywhere as the beach. I first really got into at the beach last year, and still there is something about looking at how the ocean stretches out near the end of the day while listening to past and pending.
Proper segueway, because I think it's time to discuss summer music. For now, let's say I'll give you five bands that defined my summer this year. Feel free to post yours
1) VOXTROT- Without a doubt, one of the best things that has happened to me this summer. Young, earnest, in love, and ready to go. I haven't had a favorite band in a long time, but these guys are it.
2) BLOC PARTY- the Asbury show gave me a real kickstart when it comes to this band. I'd always liked them before and now better appreciate them for being young and willing. And for having a song that says fuck in it.
3) TV on the RADIO- For one night, they were absolutely remarkable.
4) HOT CHIP- This is the NEW dance music. Get right on this party kids.
5) Tie for old pick- B & S and NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL- If you're feeling sinister dominated my leaving Geneseo spring period, and Fold your hands child actually wound up being an awesome beach cd. As for Neutral Milk Hotel, In Aeroplane Over the Sea is one of the best things I've ever heard
ALL IN ALL, CHECK THE EASTERN HORIZONS FOR ONE OF YOUR FAVE BLONDE- HEADED KIDS. I'M NOT SAYIN. I'M JUST SAYIN.

2 Comments:
Have we discussed our mutual LBI travels and how we have both gone there since we were born? I feel like we have, but maybe not. Perhaps a young Mo and Angela built sand castles as children do when they meet randomly on the Jersey Shore.
Also, how long are you going to be in WNY for in the coming week?
Bay Village, reprezent.
I believe we did discuss that at some point in time. Jerz.
I'll be in WNY from thursday to saturday morning-ish, which means two rockin' nights and two days-ish of hanging in the sunshine. Much excited
Post a Comment
<< Home