Sunday, July 16, 2006

BOOST

Anyone who has recently had the collegiate rug pulled out from under them, or hell EXPAND, anyone who has recently experienced big time transition will tell you there is big time up and down- age, or downitude whilst figuring out what the hell to do with yonself. And since, I'm told, I now have to figure hmm, WHAT THE FUCK TO DO WITH MY LIFE, the seas have been a mite rocky for the good ship Workoff. To those put off by the word fuck, in CAPS, worry not. I paused little before I wrote it out, I made a decision, and went with it. FUCK felt right at the time.

ANYWAY (see, what I mean, bi- polar use of caps) I'm feeling pretty boosted right now.

You see my dears, I do nothing. I drift aimlessly from one whirring screen to another, and though I can brag and say I've finished a good pile o' books, I'm in many ways more on the up and up of the ethical patterns of the MTV show NEXT than the world of great literature. Last week I consistently went to bed at five ish and woke up at two. When lives take a turn like that, from the awesome adventures ever day with the people I love situation that had been my lucky lot previous to this, it's easy to feel down.

For the past two weeks, I've been volunteering at these free shows at the McCarren Park Pool in Williamsburg. I've talked a lot of shit about Billyburg and its residents in the past, but being a part of this project, free shows in a three olympic pools sized drained pool feels amazing. I don't get paid, I stand in the hot sun for hours, and today I yelled at people to donate money for the concert series. I hate asking for money from people. I hid behind a snappy routine when I worked for NYPIRG for a summer, but now, it feels fucking good. I'm much more optimistic in finding a community of people who want to do creative good things in my interim year apart from neo- colonialism. THUS, Williamsburg and Greenpoint, I'm sorry for generalizing.

I also got to meet Anton Newcombe, the singer from the Brian Jonestown Massacre made infamous by the documentary (rockumentary! WOOO!) DIG!, which chronicled their relationship with the Dandy Warhols. Honest to God, one of the nicest, most comfortable people I've ever met. We chatted, and I helped him in my friendly volunteer capacity, thus I say, aspiring rock stars, aloof does not equal goodness. Anton's a really fascinating personality, and an impressive musician, and may well be the closest I ever get to Orson Welles, but THAT logic requires a whole other entry unto itself (read: i am oddly attracted to genius personalities, explaining a 13 yr old shunnage of the backstreet boys in favor of crushing on kenneth branagh. that does not make sense).

And well goddamn special blog diary, look at what you made me do. Get all personal and shit. I knew I was made for the internets. I didn't tell you any REAL secrets anyways.

P.S.- tell Meg V that in our game of rock star bingo, I can cross off Little Pete. He was at the show too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home