Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SWING O THANGS

HELL YES

After a long hiatus, which this time we may only attribute to domestication, taking in a loseyourmind awesome cat named Hugo, and falling in love with English tomato sauce based breakfast beans I can explain my absence from March through June. As for the rest of the time absent IT'S ONLY BECAUSE I'VE BEEN BUSY GOING TO THE HOME RUN DERBY AND MEETING SPIKE LEE. But you know, tra-lee, tra-la. I'm sure you've all been up to the same.

Oh man, it takes something out of you to get back into the swing of unholy narcissism. It also takes something out of you to figure out how to spell narcissism again, after long hiati. Hyattusses. Hiatupotomusses.

I've actually been reading up on unholy narcissism lately. I've discovered that we are millenial generation. In NYC we are Young Urban Narcissists (Yunnies for those playing the acronym game). According to blogger blogger land (because there is no such thing as a space between the stratosphere and the ozone layer where blogs are born. They were obviously conceived a left at the moon and straight on till Gorilla Coffee closed) we are WORSE narcissists than our parents. Be still my boomer hating heart. By all accounts, the boomers made us this way. They made us acceptance seeking, cell phone street walkin', internet moles who are a part of the effort to push all that is NY out of the City, and put a Starbucks in your mom's house to boot.

This and thinking very seriously about my part in the gentrification of our BK neighborhoods has made for a lot in the mid twenties identity existential crise conversations avec moi meme.

Translated - I see the negative side of gentrification not only in areas like Williams-green-wick and Sunset Park, pushing out people who live there, but also see franchises pushing out anything that makes Manhattan commercially interesting. I ain't gonna hike to the city if it's a mess o Pinkberries, Good Burgers, and Qdobas (the silent fancy franchises creeping in). New York won't be anything to come home to if it looks like everywhere else.

It would do me better to elaborate, but Workoff away! If I ever get into essays the conceptual integrity of closure, maybe I'll finish this thought.

We will be more conclusion-y in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home